Summer temperatures may be lingering, but fall is right around the corner! Is your home ready for the changing of seasons? Run through our checklist to ensure your home is prepped for autumn and the cooler temperatures that are on its way. Start these chores now and your home will ease into winter with no problems when the time comes.
Outside Your Home:
- De-clog your gutters and remove any leaves or debris that may be stuck. This will ensure their efficiency when it rains.
- Check for gaps, cracks or any drafts around doors or windows and seal them with caulk. This will cut down on your home’s heating costs and keep the hot air inside where it belongs.
- Have your roof inspected by a professional for any cracks or potential leaks.
- Turn off sprinkler and drip systems to cut down on your water use and to
- Clean and store any outdoor furniture in your garage or other dry place.
Inside Your Home:
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and replace the batteries as necessary. It is also a great idea to check your fire extinguishers to make sure they’re working effectively.
- Make an appointment to get your furnace inspected by a professional before you start using it for the season.
- Inspect your fireplace and chimney before your first fire. Check for any deposits residing in the fireplace and that the flu is functioning normally. Also, make sure to stock up on firewood!