The best part about summer can be the getaways, near or far. But it’s hard to relax when you’re worrying about what could be happening back at your empty house. Don’t let these worries put a damper on your vacation! Get your peace of mind and enjoy your time away to the fullest with these tips for protecting your home, inside and out.
- Set timers or smart switches on a few key interior lights so they switch on just before the sun goes down.
- Test and set your home security system. Let your alarm company know the day you are leaving and the day you will return.
- Install a smart lock to your front door. This kind of technology can allow you to remotely monitor and access your front door. Also consider getting a video doorbell to see exactly what’s happening in real time all from your phone.
- Put your valuables safely away and out of sight. Stash them in a lock box or home safe.
- Unplug all small electronics.
- Set your thermostat so the air conditioning won’t be unnecessarily running while you’re not home.
- Before you leave, double check that every window and door is locked. Draw the shades and curtains if you normally close these every night.
- If you’re leaving for more than a few days, stop your mail or have a neighbor pick it up every day. A full mailbox is a key indicator that no one is home.
- Remove all spare keys from the hiding places outside your home, it isn’t hard for a burglar to find your hiding spot.
- Give a trusted neighbor or friend a copy of your itinerary and ask them to keep an eye on your place while you’re away.
- Install a motion sensor lights in various dark places around your house’s exterior.
- Don’t forget to lock the door leading into the garage and board up all dog / cat doors.